Were the first 10 not enough for you? Here are 10 more films to help you find that perfect someone to spend the rest of your life with. Or in my case, the good portion of a week.
20. Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999) – What better way to start a happy relationship of love and unicorns by watching a three-hour opus on what happens if you treat your kids like s**t?
19. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Trey Parker, 1999) – You had me at the six-foot tall talking clitoris.
18. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Milos Forman, 1975) – What Chief Bromden does to Randall at the end of this film is a perfect example of how I’d like my life to end if I make past the age of 65. If your suitor isn’t down with that, what good are they?
17. Boyz N The Hood (John Singleton, 1991) – When the cops mess with Cuba Gooding Jr., he shows us that he can shadowbox like no other. The Special Edition DVD has a music video by Tevin Campbell that’s sure to spark a mood. Or two.
16. American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999) – While this film is running, you both can make comments on how easy it is for a marriage to finally become a dysfunctional mess. Oh, and Chris Cooper will punch you in the face if you don’t.
15. The Last Boy Scout (Tony Scott, 1991) – Don’t watch this with your date for the action or Shane Black’s brilliant screenplay. Instead, learn a thing or two about Joe Hallenbeck (one of film’s best characters ever) and his dysfunctional family. How often do you see a daughter call her father a “f**k up” outside of the White House?
14. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper, 1974) – Horror films are always fun date films and this film is one of the best. Plus, who doesn’t love a meat hook in the back?
13. City of God (Fernando Meirelles and Katia Lund, 2002) – One of the greatest movies ever made and a film that certainly proved watching kids shoot each other can indeed be fun.
12. Dead Alive (Peter Jackson, 1992) – This is also a good film to watch in front of their parents too.
11. Amelie (Jean-Pierre Juenet, 2001) – Holy crap, a love story that doesn’t suck or star John Cusack! This may cause a problem for the ladies, however, because falling in love with Audrey Tatou couldn’t be easier. You on the other hand, probably won’t have such luck.